If you suspect that your living space is haunted, you have a few options. You could get a paranormal team to come in (most times for free), but all they will do is confirm what you already suspect. They don't usually have the skills to rid a home of spirits.
To deal with this yourself, you have a few of options:
1. Accept that your space has spiritual presence and learn to live with it.
2. Speak to the Spritis: Assuming that the spirits are not actually doing anything harmful to you (aside from creeping you out), you can find a way to live with them in that space. However, you can announce yourself and set boundaries. On a quiet night when you are sure to not be interrupted, put out all the electrical lights and light one or more candles instead. Sit quietly for a few minutes and then in a quiet but firm voice, introduce yourself, tell them your story (as you would meeting a new person), and state your rules for living with these spirits in harmony. Then sit quietly for as long as you feel is necessary (at least a few minutes). Afterwards, you should take notes on anything that happens.
3. Cleanse the House: If the spirits are not respecting your boundaries, or you have decided you cannot live with them, you can push them out. For this to happen, you can do this on your own, but it would be better to involve your children and any of your friends who are open to it (4 or 5 people should do). Try not to bring in raging skeptics because their self-doubt will weaken what you are trying to do.
You will need the following materials:
- sage (or an incense that you like)
- one candle per person (something you can hold comfortably in your hand)
- one or two small stones per person
- two mantras that you must write and everyone must learn (you might want to print up a copy for each person).
a. On a quiet evening, put out all the electrical lights, gather your people outside the space, and give them the material and the instructions of what you are about to do. Light the sage and let it smolder (you should disconnect the fire alarms in the house). Each person should light their candle and either hold the two small stones or place them in their pocket.
b. Holding their candle and sage, have each person walk through the house tracing the walls of each room (give about 2 minutes between each person), and pointing the sage at the wall. Each person needs to imagine that the sage is burning away any negative energy in the space, leaving it neutral and empty.
c. As each person walks the house, they read the first mantra. The exact words are not important, but the intention behind them must be clear. The words can be something like this:
"In the name of my friend [insert name here], I cast out all negative energy from this place. I cast out all spirits or any other entities from this space. This is a place that is quiet, neutral, and safe."
d. Repeat this mantra for every room and hallway as they walk through it, burning the sage. Focus on this task and try not to be distracted by anything or anyone else.
e. Once everyone goes through, the person or people living in the space should go last.
f. Put out the sage and put it aside.
g. Holding their candle, have each person walk through the house allow the candlelight to fill each space, tracing the walls of each room (give about 2 minutes between each person). Each person needs to imagine that the light is filling the space with good feelings, love, and positive energy.
h. As each person walks the house, they read the second mantra. The words can be something like this:
"In the name of my friend [insert name here], I declare this place to be filled with love, friendship, and good times. I look forward to many good times and great memories to fill this space. This is a place that is loving, filled with friendship, and safe." You can also talk about all the good times and good memories you are looking forward to having in this place.i. Repeat this mantra for every room and hallway as they walk through it. Focus on this task and try not to be distracted by anything or anyone else. As each person walks through the space, have them place their stones in random spots through-out the house (don't leave them on the floor where they can be stepped on).
j. Once everyone goes through, the person or people living in the space should go last, completing the process.
Once this process is completed, have a party as soon as possible and let your friends fill the space with happiness.